Thursday, July 15, 2010

It's Broken, and No Amount of Glue Can Fix It

I used to have a Barbie Doll I liked very much.

Then she got broke, because I was too rough (yeah I was a doll-killer) and I chopped her hair off in effort to make her more interesting. Didn't work.

When she got broke, I dumped her into an old box and never looked at her again till it was time to throw her out/donate her to charity. (I think there is a Toy Story lesson here I should learn but I am too depressed. I'll deal with my guilt later.) Broken toy mah. Why keep?

I tried to keep her. I did. I re-cut her hair (made it worse), I coloured her lips and eyes with pretty colours (she looked like a clown), I bought spare shoes (then it went missing less than two days later) and I dressed her in spare clothes (also torn, caught it on her foot and was rough). So suffice to say, she got worse the more I tried to 'fix' her.

Yeah, so the conclusion here is I was a bad toy-owner. And by now you would have realised that this Barbie doll is actually a metaphor for my job. Which I love, very much, but it got broke when I tried to do more with it and fix it.

Because life is such that the more you try, the worse things get. It applies everywhere - I am a walking Murphy's Law, because if anything can go wrong for me, it will. The more I try, the worse I make it. It happened three years ago, it happened three days ago, and it will happen in right about three seconds... because THAT'S HOW MY LIFE WORKS.

Also added the fact that I am quite a stupid and clumsy person la, but I've seen stupider people get away with being stupid.

I messed up something very important to me a few years back, and now I am possibly doing it again... but this time it's through no fault of mine. Or maybe it is, I wouldn't know. I can no longer tell the difference between what I should do and what I shouldn't do.

Just a two days ago I received a 'dressing down' from a person who, in all fairness, has been negligent in the first place. Suddenly wishing to take charge and take power is not the way to work - especially since you have been shirking your duty for a long while, and I've been picking up your slack. I work harder than anyone else in this company (except the Sales team, they make the money, they work damn hard) and it isn't fair that I am accused of insubordination and of being argumentative.

The person I thought would actually listen and understand my side of things turned out to be... Not. At all. And all I've worked for suddenly is rendered useless and insignificant. And suddenly the freedom I am given is taken away. And worse of all, it is a yo-yo situation and I am suddenly very unsure of my footing.

You cannot take back what you've given, it's not fair. I don't mind a scolding, but only when it's fair. I've taken much worse scoldings before, and it's okay if it comes from fairness. But this isn't.

I am going to tender my resignation come end of the year, so as to give my HR time to find a replacement. I am going to go back to theSun's job offer and take them up on it. I cannot work in a place where someone wants power but not the responsibility.

Am I about to plan a mutiny? Just my own. Just my own. I quit. Bye bye.



1 comment: