Saturday, January 23, 2010

Meet Lucky.

Hi. I'm Lucky. I was wandering pitifully around the neighbourhood when I smelled out the writer of this blog. I knew she'd be a sucker for me so I licked her and followed her home. Heh. Heh. Heh. Behold my floppy ears and my sad brown eyes.

And so began the story of Lucky.
Coming home one night (last Tuesday to be precise) I stumbled into an all-black, extremely skinny mongrel who was wandering lost... on the street where I live. (say that sing-song and man, isn't that fun?)
He was sort of looking pitiful and lost and was standing behind Bra-man's car (Bra generously dropped me home, thanks Bra!), so I gesticulated wildly that "BRA GOT DOG BEHIND YOUR CAR, CAREFUL"
When the dog did not budge, I beckoned it to me.
With only the splittest of seconds of hesitation, he came towards me and licked my hands. Within minutes, I was his best friend. Needless to say, when I saw how many ribs were sticking out from his skin-and-bone body, my heart broke.
I coaxed him into my house, and despite Maya's ridiculous barking, he followed. I opened a can of dog food, and lo! He fell upon it with such hunger I felt like crying.
Immediately I knew two things: He's no stray and he's been lost/abandoned for weeks, minimum.
First of all, he's extremely friendly, and despite being quite a large dog (once he puts on weight again), he's gentle. Strays run when you approach because they are suspicious of people; and so my conclusion (taking in good condition of teeth and the would-be glossy fur also) is that he is a lost/abandoned pet dog, from probably very far away.
And it's easy to see he's been wandering lost for a long, long time. No dog is that skinny. If nobody had picked him up in a week or so more, he would have died of starvation.
And I think the world would just be that much worse a place for it.
So yeah.
Maya is not taking to him all too well, but then again she's Queen of the Porch. She'll just have to accept there's a King now.
For now, he's being fed and pumped with vitamins and proteis and all that good stuffz. Hopefully, in a few weeks, I can post another pic of him looking glossy, healthy and FAT.

No comments: