Friday, April 9, 2010

How to Train Your Dinos

It's simple, actually. You bring one of them to a movie about a boy and his dragon.

So I watched 'How to Train Your Dragon' with my mom and sis recently, and I've discovered the secret to making my mommy dearest happy and a-glow with fuzzy feelings all day.

Just take her to a movie, or should I say, animated movie. Of the six times I've brought her to the cinema, all of it (except Alice in Wonderland) was a cartoon/animated film. Lol. Can you imagine the role reversal going on here? Ol' Sigmund Freud would have a field day.

Neeways; my mom enjoys the whole movie-going experience more than the movie itself. She's so cute when she goes to the movies. Get very excited one. Hahahaha.

But, going to the MAIN point of this post - a review of How to Train Your Dragon.

To sum it up;

As I was leaving the cinema, I turned to my Mommy and said: "Mommy, I want a dragon too!" Which elicited a rare grin from her. But I'm perfectly serious.

I abso-friggin-lutely LOVED the movie. It is, without a doubt, the best animated feature film of the year, the one nobody saw coming, least of all from Dreamworks, who hadn't made a movie as good as Shrek (1, mind you) for ages.

Yes, I dare say even better than Up. And let me explain why before you shriek in protest.

First of all, Up is yet another feather to Pixar's cap. Pixar churns out these movies which tug your heartstrings, make you tear up, provide entertainment that can appeal to both the kiddies and the bigger kiddies and the old kiddies-at-heart. They do it in their sleep.

But Dreamworks? Nope. They haven't (in my humble opinion) made anything as good as Shrek since, well, Shrek 2. Which was okay, but not great, then Shrek 3 was just stupid. They have also not been too well-known for making amazing score, unlike Pixar.

But How to Train Your Dragon has, also IMHO, the best 'boy and his pet' story ever, and possibly the best, most bittersweet, touching and amazingly unhappy happy ending ever. It also has a amazing, amazing score courtesy of John Powell, who made it soaring and epic and emotional all at the same time.

It is all the elements that make Pixar work so well, with just that extra - in this case, incredible animation and action and a great deal of heart. It is incredibly charming, likeable, fun, smart and silly at the same time, and is, despite the dragons, completely believable.

It makes you wanna love your dogs more. It makes you wanna appreciate your pet more. It fills you up with fuzzy feelings and love for animals and pets. You may even wanna start talking to your fish.

Maybe get your own dragon.

It just had so much AWWWWWW in it I can't even begin to explain it here. It is possibly going to have me buying the Bluray DVD. I love it that much.

So for everyone reading, go watch it. You'll regret it if you don't. I am friggin' serious.

Whales out.

1 comment:

teh ais limei said...

Hmm... I still pass by my Dad's fish tank everyday with nay an interest to talk to them. Heck, I haven't even counted them. Goldfishes are just not the same as dwagerns, i suppose.