Wednesday, April 2, 2008

American Idol Moment

Some very very strange things happened today.

I got the American Idol treatment.

Except, of course, when you take away a few things:

1. Me singing. Dont even try it. I can hold a tune fine enough for church hymns (having sung it all my life I've had tonnes of practice) but don't expect me to break out in Whitney-esque glory. Heck, don't talk Whitney. I ain't even as good as erm, never mind.

2. A big stage. Hmm. Then again. Does the entire office count as a big stage? I think it does! Scrap that. Ahem

2. Eternal fame and recognition. Hmmmmm. On second thought, having had such an experience probably DID make me infamous....scrap that too.

2. Ahem. I've just GOT to get it right! Ahem. Difference number two: music versus writing.

Hold on. People write music. Damn it!

I'm just gonna get to the point ok?

I got my own version of Simon, Randy and Paula today over a press release I processed 3 weeks ago.

First thing in the morning, got a nice but firm telling from a new editor (just moved up to 4th floor, really nice lady) who told me under no circumstance should I ever use words like 'amazing' and 'astounding'.

Also pointed out a thousand mistakes I made.

(a little backgrounder for all ya'll out there, me also had a spiked story from another ed, in Lifestyle, to which I rewrote and all is well.)

I thought that was it.


WRONG!

Afternoon came and another ed came in and POUNCED.

HAH! He proclaimed loudly enough for the cleaning lady downstairs to hear.

YOU're THE CULPRIT!

You WROTE that ARTICLE DIDNT YOU?

YOU NEVER USE WORDS LIKE ASTOUNDING AND AMAZING!

and so on and so forth. He is a truly nice man, so I guess he was half-joking, but he meant every word. Just said it in a half-joking way. My mistakes were so severe that -wait for it-

-THE THIRD ED came in! He explained to me quite a lot of things that I didnt even know I was wrong about. He was firm, but encouraging.

At the moment, I wished hard that:


THE GROUND WOULD OPEN AND SWALLOW ME.

So here is the connection: First ed-Paula (nice, sweet, never criticise harshly) second ed- Simon (not harsh but truthful to a point sometimes it stings) and third ed - Randy (honest, but not as tough as Simon.)

There, see?

My little Idol moment.

I shall forever be known as Air Asia Girl. For the mistakes I made on their press release. Yowch.

Anyways.

I also discovered a few things today, that explains a lot of things.

Of which one of the incidents made my heart sing.

It made me uber-happy. Seriously.


Will leave it to ya'll to figure out which one it was. Muahahaha. Not giving details here.

Goodbye Ya'll

No comments: