Sunday, April 20, 2008

Greatest Hits

I have been on my Industrial Training (IT) for about one thousand weeks now, and it is about to end in a week. And while this is still too early to start the Greatest Hits collection, I shall just list down the hit songs right here (aka most memorable moments of IT). Here they are:



'I Will Always Drench You' -by Songkran



The Songkran Water Festival was a first-time experience like no other for me. I never even knew the existence of the Songkran, honestly. I had arrived there, sweaty, hot, and worried I'd get lost along Jalan Gasing, (and to my surprise I didn't) and finally found the Thai Buddhist Chetawan temple. Beautiful place. The temple was so... majestic? Simple, ornate, yet majestic.



Stood there, saw the photog, and went to where the action was.



Got drenched. XD But not as drenched as the photog, who got a bucketful. Muahaha.



Its a festival where people throw water at you for blessings, a Thai New Year, actually. Its become a major event where everyone gets wet and have loads of fun.





'Feed Me Baby One More Time - by Free Food Fancies'



Now, dont' go ballistic HS, I know. But free food is a blessing for struggling students and its often quite decent... Ahem.



When food is free flow at all events, and PR people can't wait to feed you, and when you have only RM10 in your wallet, and you have to pay RM 5 to get home.. Well. I say EAT.



No Time + Free Food + Sit On Your Ass All Day Typing + No Time = ONE FAT ASS.



I've put on TONNES of weight, and I have only ONE month to undo the damage. Wish me luck.



But it was fun, ladies and gentlemen, friends of mine, it was FUN.





'U.N.Break My Heart - by UNICEF-ers'



My first ever news feature, which was published on the 7th of April. It was a news feature on UNICEF"s annual report, and I interviewed people for it. It took me one whole month, four rewrites (on my part, on my own) to get it done. Thanks loads to MZ for helping me clean my article up.



I am proudest of this article, because I feel it is actually somewhat semi-important and will make a difference to readers. At least, I hope so. I put in a heckuva lot of effort in it.



Subsequently, was invited to the UNICEF report launch and it was all good.





'Umbrella-ella-ella (shoots self) - by Get One For Gods Sake'



A strangely memorable moment, an oddly simple thing which led to my first ever real convo with the Group Editor in Chief. (The closest I ever came to talking with him prior to that was taking his order down for McD's...)



My umbrella-less state has led to my mooching off various colleagues for theirs, and so one rainy evening I borrow one off Bozu. His was faulty. Went up back to office, and struggled with Umbrella Surgery (called Umbrellogy) and then finally, he (group editor in chief) saw my struggles and lends me HIS umbrella.



To which I guarded the umbrella like gold.



When I went to work the next day, me and LP (former intern, very, very sweet girl) sat down for lunch at the oh-so-cheap cafe and he sat next to us.



To which me and LP were stunned (and scared witless) and I attempted convo by saying, 'Btw, sir, thanks for the umbrella the other day.'



To which sparked the first real convo I've had with him in 2 and a half months. Sad.





'Backbreak Hotel -by Elections Oh-Eight'



Elections '08. The most hectic three weeks of my entire life. With editors and reporters alike in a frenzy to get the story, with the results coming in until 4 in the morning, with names that make you cry because they're so long, to names which make you laugh because they're so weird.



This! Is! ELECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



The experience was like no other because we (the interns) were in the thick of it. It will remain the best memory of IT, even though it was madness.



How often do you get this chance? Not often. It gonna look good on my CV too!





'Editors, Editors -by Pauline Wong'



The scariest people in the world are editors. Truly. You see, there are three types of editors.



The first; the Nice. The ones who tells you very kindly where you went wrong and tells you the right thing after that. The ones who when you make a mistake they dont make you feel stupid, but make you remember them anyway. These are the perfect type of editors, but they are not really great when you are the slow type like me. They are also not great when you make big boo-boos. They are too nice to impress upon you the severity of your error, and hence you make light of it.



Second: The Mean. These are the ones you should run over with your car if you get the chance. Nuff' said. Thankfully, very very few of them are out there.



Third: The ones I know. Now, these editors are scary. Intimidating. Beyond superhuman in their ability to spot mistakes (and correct them too!). Way serious and experienced. These people intimidate you as soon as they walk into a room. Its inexplicable.

However, having just gotten used to the way things work around here, though I am rather glad for the break (which, due to certain circumstances, is forced upon me) I feel slightly unwilling to leave. But all things come to an end, and I only hope that this is NOT the end. Perhaps if chances are given, I shall take them.


'I Dare You to Move - by Switchfoot'

No play on song titles here. Undoubtedly one of THE best experiences of my entire 3 and a half months. It was my first concert. I can't remember much more except for the loud LOUD music, the screaming and me screaming too and the frenzy. And talking in elevated volumes after it was over.

It was a truly awesome experience, and all for FREE. Gotta love this job!


Well, the hit collection has a few more songs but they are too tedious to list them here. Get the collection at the third desk from the right, second row facing the IT dept., first row in a row of 6x6, far left of room, fourth floor, lot six, (bleep-for privacy).

Retails at RM 0.30. What? I never claimed it was good. 30 cents for production costs ok?

If you order NOW, its buy one free ten. Can't beat a deal like that, ahaha.


Goodnight ya'll.

No comments: