Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hairspray and Hairy Situations.


Today I laughed till I cried. No seriously. I had tears in my eyes from laughing really hard. No, no llamas were doing tapdances. No, there was no green goop involved. No, no singing donkeys either...thousand-eyed squirrels? Spiderpigs? Exposed privies? Yellow fellows? Nope, no, not a chance and nuh uh.


All there was today was Hairspray. Loads of it. Ooodles and oodles of CFC. Did someone say ozone layer? I'll take my chances!



Edna Turnblad (John Travolta) and Tracey Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky) Check out Edna's man-hands!


The story starts off with a wonderfully upbeat and positively glowing Tracey Turnblad; singing 'Good Morning, Baltimore' -a catchy little song with some rather nifty lyrics and a sense of something good to come. The one thing I loved most about Tracey as a character was that she was so comfortable in her skin, so in tune with her body.


Although her character was (in the words of J) drowned by the other side characters later in the show, she was, for me, the star. Nikki Blonsky played someone so positive, so happy and so sure of who and what she is. There was no 'I'm victimised 'cause I am fat' whining anywhere in the show, and none of the condescension that is so prevalent in most shows about fat people. You know, how big people are always portrayed as people to be pitied and always to be considerate towards. Or how we are always to be tagged with the 'inner beauty' cliche.


But we proceed.


We are introduced to Tracey, whose dream is to be on the Corny Collins Show where she can pursue her dream of dance. And when an opening emerges on the show, well, she strikes! She auditions, but is rejected by a deliciously bitchy and catty Michelle Pfeifer, aka Ms. Baltimore Crabs. And not to mention her attention-hogging daughter; both are thin, blond and bitchy.


She has a crush on Link Larkin, one of the leading dancers on the show, played by the surprisingly un-annoying Zac Effron. Her best friend and lollipop-sucking fiend, Penny Pingleton (played by Amanda Bynes) is supportive and well, sweet. Despite a crazy mother.


So the story goes on how she is finally given a break to dance on the show one day due to a combination of detention, butt-shaking and a peeping-tom-ish Zac Effron.


Now, let's see.... what else is interesting about this show.... hmmm....


Oh yes.


JOHN TRAVOLTA IN A FAT SUIT DRAG GET-UP.


Oh, yes, and flirting and dancing with Christopher Walken. That was what got me and J laughing. Oh, that one scene, that one song 'You're Timeless to Me', that scene......Priceless. Worth all the 8 bucks I paid.

And the thing that I appreciated most about this movie?

How it never took itself too seriously, despite handling issues like racism and individualism. It had a good, strong message to drive home; but it never for a second got all solemn and sober. It was cheesy, upbeat, very very corny and very very 60's. Big 'do and all.

The message in this show, in the end, is going for your dreams no matter who you are (black, white, gray, brown or any other colour for that matter) and what you look like. Its okay to be different. Its okay not to conform to the mass-produced norm. Its okay to be who you are; unafraid of criticism and sneers.

Oh, and that in the end, having a positive attitude, really big, sweet smile and really big hair will win you the boy of your dreams. Lol. That only happens in the movies, eh? But we can always dream, can we not? After all, what are movies but imitation of reality; though it be twisted and warped?

This is the feel good movie of the year. Besides Ratatouille. Okay, Simpsons was good too, but this is a guaranteed feel-good movie. A few notes of caution: do not watch this alone and do catch it within this week. There aren't many screenings left. Why don't watch it alone? Because fuzzy, warm feelings are a guaranteed-thing and if one watches it alone, this feeling will go to waste. Trust me. I walked out of that cinema feeling like I had a hot, thick and sweet cup of Milo. Which is good. However, this is not a movie to be watched over and over though; it may get a little tiring. Too much warmth and fuzziness will eventually wear itself out.

If you have your girl friends over at your place (as in girls-only sleepovers kind of thing, NOT the many-girl-orgy kind of thing, you dirty, dirty people) this is perfect.

Overall score? A-. Minus because no movie can be perfect. Lol.

Hmm.

Hairy situations come in the form of Carrefour today. I know, I know, I am simply asking for trouble, going on the eve of Raya, but hey, Dad wants to cook and ingredients must be bought! So off I went with me sis.

Not too many people, good, good, I mean, I am a mencae when it comes to shopping for provisions; I push the trolley around with such impatience that I may get arrested for unintentional assault someday. Parking also easy, good, good.

Found the stuff; all within budget I might add, and so went to pay. Had only ten items exactly, so went to Express Counter.

Now, let it be known that the greatest ironic statement in the whole world is the statement: 'EXPRESS COUNTER'. Because no matter which hypermarket you're at, the express counter is about as express as my driving (and let it also be known I drive at 40 km/h) and it always, always takes about the same time as any normal counter. And this is something no one can deny. I don't care which hypermarket. Uppity ones like Cold Storage, mid-range like Tesco or Giant or cheap like Mydin or Carrefour; it is ALL the same.

So, when I went to pay, lo, behold! The line was so long, it was all the way up to the aisles! I waited there with my heavy basket (forgot to bring a 20cent coin with me, so no trolley) for 40 mins! All for:

One cabbage (small)

Two cans of Corned Beef

Two packs of prunes

Milk

Onions and potatoes

Spoons (we never have enough spoons)

Frozen green peas

Thats it.

Now, it may seem unsignificant, but when it was my turn, oooh I tell you, the cashier started rifling through my stuff with an expression akin to having had unsatisfying sex the night before. She was making sure I had ten items or less. I mean, does she think I am stupid? Does she really think I will wait bloody FORTY minutes in the 'Express Counter' with MORE than 10 items????? I mean, sheesh! I may be so blur that I need supervision each time I cross a busy road, but I certainly am NOT stupid. And hell, I do not need supervision either, really. I have not gotten knocked down by some two-tonne six-wheeler, have I? *indignant*

Ahem.

Pardon my ranting. Its just that provisions-shopping for me is like trekking through a jungle. Human jungle, which is the worst kind of jungle.

I end here, and next time you want to be able to battle through the human jungle on your monthly provision shopping trip, do call. For a small fee (one packet of Milo drink) I will help you push your way through. For another packet I will hire my sister's 6 foot-5 inch tall BF to aid our cause. Throw in a free bath towel (my favourite NS one has more holes than towel in it now) and I will equip myself with a bamboo stick. You know my number!

Oh yes, interesting bit of funny stuff (courtesy of J!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3K7RSw_8wU

Its the lyrics to the theme from God of War.

Enjoy, people.

No comments: