Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My Neighbour Totoro

No, I do not have a neighbour named Totoro. In fact, wow, I never told anyone about my neighbours, now, have I? They're an interesting bunch, you know. On the left of my house lives my grand-aunt. Yeap, it's true people. My grand-aunt. On the right is one of my dad's fishing kaki (recently acquired). This fishing kaki's mother used to live there (and trust me, if Totoro was an Indian lady, that'll be her, only in size and not in gruntish benovelence.) I am honest, not being disrespectful; she passed a few years ago. She used to chase her grandson around saying 'Alake thambi, adepia!' (dirty little boy, I wallop you!)

But as always, I digress.

Ahem.

I watched 'My Neighbour Totoro' yesterday, making it the fourth Ghibli movie I've watched. So far I've watched: Totoro, Howl's, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies. Wanted to watch The Cat Return, but I forgot J mentioned it's got no English subtitles and I've gotta watch it in Cantonese. Ouch. So there they were, yabbering away in Cantonese; and though I understand most of it, it is pervasively awkward. So I give up and now I wanna go and get the whole set coz J's set got no Laputa, Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime. -_-' All of Ghibli's most famous, and none of them I can watch. How am I supposed to do a review then? Must get it on my own somehow.

Anyway. I digress again.

Totoro had me smiling from the childishly enjoyable opening song to the great Cat bus rescue. I was sceptical at first, and I betcha my mom (who was sitting on the couch behind me, sipping hot Milo coz she got a stuffed nose last night) thought I was reliving a second childhood or summat. Did I mention I watch all my movies at 1/2/3 am in the morning? That's coz those are the only times I can:

a) watch in peace.
b) watch in peace.
c) watch what I want.

All other times Daddy takes precedence.

I nearly thought it was a kiddie show (which it is) but now that I've seen it I wonder where my childhood went that I never saw these when I was younger. Then again, coming from a household hooked on Disney.... I doubt Ghibli would have dared showed its face in my home.

I loved it. I wish I could have sat on the Cat bus. It sure as hell looked damned comfortable.

Heh. Those soot sprites are the ones in Spirited Away as well.


My Dumb Mongrel Maya.

Is fine. She is perky as always, frisky like a three-month old kangaroo and though she still eyeballs me everytime I walk past her, she is FINE. Soft stools, but it should clear up in a few days. She damn well gave me a heart attack.


My Shaggy Mane.

Tamed and not happy about it. I had it cut yesterday, just a trim, just to make me look more like Whale instead of Lion. My hairdressing lady (she been there since 1988 and she has been cutting my hair since forever!) was oddly chatty (maybe coz no one else was there) and she was just telling me how fast time flies, coz now her daughter is 10 and I am 21 and 'big girl' already.

Wanted to tell her I had been 'big girl' for nearly 2 decades now. Quite literally.

Heh.

Anyways. Its now only another 5 days to work. Thank goodness! So Ganbatte, my friends!!!!! Keep up the work!!! I'll see you guys out on the field I hope!

3 comments:

vic said...

thank God for you and your loooong posts.. hahaha
and yay! you've FINALLY been properly introduced to the world of Ghibli! =D i'll see if i have Laputa in my collection. i think i've got Mononoke Hime too. relevant enough reason to lure you out? ;p

Hafutota no JE said...

what the, if i gave u cat's return along with my collection then it runs in jap with PERFECT subtitles.

Anh, haven't gotten my hime back. My friend's book is rotting in my drawer too. gotta call her one day.

Ithildin Galad said...

YES vic, i will be out

but YOU wont... :( I MAY be in one utama this friday....

or maybe a weekend? call me! i m determined to get out at least by end of this week! :)