Saturday, January 26, 2008

Week Two: Still Survivin'

Its Week Two, my friends.

So far, Week Two has been slightly more eventful than Week One. And well, here I go again; I am going to give you a blow-by-blow account of my week.

*I sense you guys going to the market and buying tomatoes that all the auntie-ah soh-ah poh all don't want and putting it into a cute lil' basket and aiming it in the direction of my office at the left-hand-side-far-left-right-in-front-of-a-row-of-six tables (thats roughly where I sit) and letting go on Monday morning*

So here goes:


MONDAY

Arrived early at office, had nothing to do cause I was off Sunday and so I didn't get any assignments. First time for me sitting in office with nary a thing to do. I recall disturbing J a lot... and whining about my inactivity.

Bozu and TK were both in office so it wasn't too bad... TK and I had lunch; like so often we do. Since we ain't gotten to really know anyone yet.

In the end when S came in, I got meself a press release to process and did pretty much that.


TUESDAY

Saw my first FOOD review ever.

It was a memorable one because it was a proper 8-course CNY thingy, though at lunch.

I arrived there right on time. -_-'.

See, that was cause I am paranoid about being late, see, and being unfamiliar to the places just makes me even more paranoid about not being on time. So I set off as early as I could without being over-eager and took my time making sure I asked several people how to get there.

I was greeted by a very efficient, very friendly marketing comm. person and she remarked on how tall I am. (Yes, now that we've all agreed that my father is a man, lets move on to the food, shall we?)

It began with me waiting for the rest of the press/marketing/sales people to show up. They did, after about 1/2 an hour, by that time I was rather hungry.

Hungry, I say, but with little appetite, since I was not looking forward to having a meal in a whole table-full of absolute strangers. Bright side was the prawns were nice. The shark fin's soup was nice too, but with a strong crab roe taste (they put crab roe in it). Hmm.

Overall, I thought the food was only okay. Still, it was free, I drank lotsa tea to cover up my shyness and I met NST's food reviewer, Tan Bee Hong. Cool.

Then I got some nice cookies (which I distributed to the office) and some oranges.


WEDNESDAY

THAIPUSAM!!!!!!! NO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!SLEEP!!!!!


THURSDAY

Another day of nothing. TK and Bozu both out on assignment leaving me to fend for myself in a world made of scary men. The whole Lifestyle desk not in, so I did not have any human interaction for the longest time. I was alone. All alone.

Then TK and Bozu came back (after I had lunch with two scary men and one scary lady!) and we had a drink at the cafe.

It was boring, until S came back and gave me 2 press releases to process. Also, had my first grilling.

I was grilled by the sub-ed rather harshly, with the ever-sweet and nice S trying to save my arse by giving kindly advice and taking away the harsh tone to the sub-ed's voice. I truly think S is a very very very nice old man, never the type to scold, never the type to intimidate.

Also, I ain't terrified of him. That has GOT to be something.


FRIDAY

Had an interview with 14-year-old prodigious savant, Yeak Ping Lian and his mother, Sarah. He is truly a special boy; at 11, he started painting and he hasn't stopped. His art has amazing detail and though still raw, he has the makings of a truly great artist. For those who want to read more about Ping Lian, go to www.pinglian.com.

A prodigious savant is an autistic individual who displays skills that would be extraordinary/prodigious even in a normal person. For example, art and music.

Ping Lian cannot speak fully, but his face is just one big grin. I noticed how he just can smile and just sit and draw and he is so... I don't know. Carefree?

Autistic or not, he displays such a cheerfulness, such an innocence and carefree-ness. I envy him that, if anything.

We are often so caught up in appearances and what people think of us. To be able to truly be yourself in front of people is a big thing. Ping Lian is so completely unpretentious and unfettered by pretenses.

My advice is: if you ever find a person with whom you can completely be yourself and know that he/she accepts you, then hold on. These people don't come around all that often.

Also, first lunch with S and sub-ed SS. She is nice too. Had a decent convo with them, about movies! I like the Lifestyle people. I really do. BsM is so quiet and non-scary, M (the sub-ed who gave me the grilling) is tough but fair, AnS is cool and ID is hard to get to know but she seems cool too.



Sigh.

Another week ends. Only time will tell if I can keep this job up. I want to just do this. But more than ever, I wish I was back in Uni!!!!!

Still, I must go on.

And so I do.

Goodnight, my friends.

4 comments:

Esee said...

ooh you're in nst? one of the media people from petronas told me nst is a very good training ground..so congrats pauline!!

Ithildin Galad said...

hahaha i m in theSun dearie.

Esee said...

Whoops..*slaps self*

i wholly apologize for the blurness..the sun's cool too you know? like, rebel newspaper?

er..i mean it's not owned by the government..eheh.

Ithildin Galad said...

hehehe yeah.

its being bought over tho. quite scary le. thesun may not be a 'rebel' newspaper for long...T-T