Thursday, July 19, 2007

Harry Potter and the Totally Unfair Review of his Latest Movie.

Okay, so I have heard some rather bad reviews on Harry Potter; among which the kindest were 'You'd be disappointed.' But as my father once so wisely said, in not quite so many words, "Don't just take other people's word for it. Go see for yourself." And so that is what I went to do.



I went there with every intention of enjoying every bloody cent I plunked in, and with the intention of having a nice good conversation later; dissecting the movie, discussing soundtrack, highlighting the best parts of the movie... *ecstasy* I really feel it's a crying shame how some people can just say, "oh, it was okay," when asked how was the movie. The point, people, of watching a movie with a friend is to have a nice chew on the movie later. Have something to talk about. But then again, very rarely do I come across people like that... except J. We movie-buffs must stick together, y'know.



Anyways, first, I would dispense with the review of the plot (EVERYONE KNOWS THE PLOT.) but I would start by saying kudos to erm... whassisname...David Yates, yeah thats the guy.



The story is not so much darker as it is more edgy. The previous four had a sickly sweetness to it that reeks of diabetic-attack-alert. There is much more impressive magic action, some noteworthy scenes are: Dumbledore VS Voldemort and the Death Eaters VS DA.



Acting-wise, I must say that praise is due to the actresses playing Umbridge and Luna. Nicely done; one an evil toad in pink, the other a spaced-out blond. However, I do like the portrayal of Luna, she is JUST how I imagined Luna would be like.

Daniel Radcliffe has improved EVER SO SLIGHTLY. But he is actually quite cute, no? Give him a few more years....and a hottie will emerge.

What I enjoyed most were the magic battles. I had felt let down by the first four, simply cause the magical battles were not up to par. In this latest installment, the display of magic is nothing short of impressive; lots of flashing lights, cool effects and swishy stuff. (Go figure) I mean, when one goes to see a movie about a teenage boy in magic school, well, one expects magic, no? Don't give me an expelliarmus that's expelliar-wuss; give me a proper disarm charm and let's see some serious stunning as well! And when magicians fight, I expect to see fireworks, lights, fiery creatures from the depths of hell and some cool shields that can deflect glass shards.

The plot did stray quite a fair bit from the book, but try condensing a book of 800 (was it 800? felt like a million) pages into a 2 and a 1/2 hour movie. Then lets see if it actually deserves the bad reviews heaped upon it.

Personally?

I'd give it an A-. The minus simply cause the dialogue was quite limp. Not snazzy enough. 'A' for the effects and for the magical showdowns. And the superb soundtrack.

So, the moral of the story is; one man's meat is his own, you go get your own meat. Err... I think that's wrong. Let's try again.

One man's meat is another man's stewed pork leg? Nope.

One man's meat is another man's vegetarian meal? Highly unliklely.

Ah. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Yeah, that's the one.

2 comments:

vic said...

oh, *finally* a positive review on this latest Harry Potter movie. not that i'm about to agree but that's because i haven't watched it yet and am being somewhat coerced to go..haha.
i really hope it's as good as you say..then i won't have blown rm10 that could've gone to my 'new handphone fund' *rofl*

Ithildin Galad said...

It is, vic...
Ignore all the bad reviews, till u've seen it urself. :)