Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I Am Legend, I Am Tired, I Am Happy, and I Am Hungry.

I Am Legend
24th Dec 2007

Today I went and saw 'I Am Legend'; starring the very leading-man-worthy Will Smith and a dog named Abby.


So the story begins with a now-you-see-her-then-you-don't appearance by Emma Thompson (one of my fav actressess ever since I saw her in Sense and Sensibility and Nanny McPhee) who plays the part of scientist Alice Kripkin, who appearantly have found the cure for cancer using the measles virus. Miracle? NOT!


The 'cure' turns people into stark raving maniacs! Flesh-eating, dark-lurking, pop-upping maniacs! This virus is incurable, and guess what, Will Smith (or Dr. Robert Neville) is immune to it. It's also spread by contact and air so there is NO escape.


After the virus wipes out the entire city of New York, he becomes the only man left on Earth... or is he? With his trusty dog Samantha, he tries to find the cure to the virus and oh yes, try not to get EATEN while he is at it. Very nice.


This movie proves several things:


1) You don't mess with what God made and fiddle around with it in attempt to mess about with something else God has made.
2) Dogs are the bestest friends a man can have. They will sacrifice their lives for you.
3) Wear a jacket when you go to the movies, cause it's cold. D'oh.
Verdict? A-. The tension, the action, the monsters popping up at all times sesuka hati macam bapak punya Bumi and the very impressive performance by Will Smith. After all, he had proven himself as a really serious, good actor in The Pursuit of Happyness. The best part of the movie? The dog, Sam. And I liked how he was a real character, because for me, movies are nothing without it's characters. I hate homogeneity and I like character-driven movies like Little Ms. Sunshine, Meet the Parents/Fockers, and other such movies with unique and individual characters. Good writing, decent soundtrack, very fast-paced, intense plot.
Oh, yes, I thought the ending was, like J said, abrupt, yet fitting. I damn well nearly cried when the dog -never mind. Wait. The only people who read my blog already watched. (spoiler warning!!!!!!!!) The dog died. Damn. I nearly cried right there in the cinema next to an elderly couple who would'nt keep quiet throughout the movie. Luckily I remembered my reputation as 'a cool guy with boobs' was at stake and decided to tough it out. Ahem.
I Am Tired
25th Dec 2007
I went to Mass yesterday and didn't get back till, like, 1 in the morning. Midnight mass. The priest was more elaborate than usual, saying two words instead of one and singing every line he's got at every chance. There was also a re-enactment of the Nativity and a very nice performace by the choir. At least they were singing in tune; we have had previous choirs who have been absolute rubbish.
The Mass, surprisingly, was a meaningful one for me. I felt that joy (just a little bit, I mean, I dunno, it could have been leftover vestiges of the movie) of Christ's birth. Sounds holy, I know. Don't get used to it ;P
All in all, a good Xmas Eve, and today I intend to spend a lazy Xmas!
I Am Happy
Unusual, I know. How often do you find me happy? I remember vaguely K telling Bozu waaay back in first year that to approach me all he had to do was be as miserable as me. Well, oddly enough, I am no longer miserable. Never was, actually. I just liked sad songs and miserable-sounding music. Heh. But yeah, life is good at most times. It's just up to you to stop and let it get to our head that it is. You get downs and you get ups, but more importantly, remember the ups.
I Am Hungry
I am hungry for JCo and Takoyaki. Damn. Suddenly I gots the craving for that delicious Belgian Chocolate donut. Gar. Hmm. I ate at Yoshinoya yesterday for the first time; it was quite good, actually. Can eat full for 20 bucks. But anyway, I was SO hungry anything would have been good, hahaha.
Hmm.
Long post. I end now. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen for enduring my drivel.

No comments: