Monday, August 13, 2007

Meeting with an Old Friend

Today, after being dragged around the whole of PJ, forced to sit through a counselling session in a small, cramped and airless cubicle, made to stand around the vicinity of a college that I find far too snooty for my liking, and coerced into following a wild goose ride despite my many protests that my presence would make no difference - I met up with an old friend.

This old friend, whom I had not seen in two years, had called me outta the blue one day and suggested that we meet up and have a cup of tea. Or eat some lunch. You know, just to basically meet up for old times sake. Its sad for me to say that I had actually forgotten to give him my new phone number; but then again, I forgot to give it to loads of people.

It turned out to be the most brain-tiring meeting of my life. By the end of it, I was so exhausted, I fell into bed and snoozed for a good half hour before being jolted awake by an irate brother, who claimed that he had been yelling for me to come down for dinner at least two thousand times.

This old friend; we met at Times Square, and we went to eat at this place called 'Food and Tea', which, by the way, I would not reccommend to anyone.

He emerged half an hour late (didn't mind, was having a good time browsing through the Sandman comics at Borders) and then we headed off to get food. He met up with two of his friends there, they left after about 5 minutes (they had a meeting and he had to pass something to one of them) and then the game of 2000 questions began.

First, we talked about inflation. Then we moved on to financial freedom. Then we discussed my plans for the future. Then he asked me about the life I want to lead. Then he asked me about my love life (which I snortingly told him was non-existent) and then we talked about principles. Then we moved on to reading between the lines, charity work, assets and liabilities, questions of morality and honour.... the list goes on.

He asked me probing, tough, psychological questions; not surprising, he is studying Psychology in HELP. I said, a total of three times, "WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY FRIEND?"

The guy I remembered was kind of nonchalant, a little self-centred, very easy-going, fond of making jokes and a little bit fake, on occasion. The guy I met today was overly focused, over-analytical, serious minded and sounded like a shrink through and through.

Did I like this new friend? I have no idea. Did I enjoy the conversation? Strangely enough, yes. He listened very well, which is something he never used to do waaaay back when I knew him. I actually enjoyed having a good, proper, serious conversation about serious stuff. I mean, I enjoy talking about nothing and listening to people talk, but for a long time I hadn't had someone actually sound interested in hearing me talk about what my plans, hopes and dreams are. I even had some words of encouragement from him regarding the guy I am currently liking. He told me to go for it, I told him (with another sceptical snort) that I'd rather stick my head in mud. He actually said, "You really like this guy, don't you," in an almost.... fatherly way? Sick, I know. Then he told me to go for it. Make the first move. But I told him, nah, no way, I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. (not exactly, but I meant it like that)

He asked me to go paintball this coming Sunday, but meh, I got stuff up and its 8 am in the morning la. Still we have made plans o meet up for lunch again; I think I would like that. I think it is good to know that someone is going to take time to listen to me. Lately it seems I've been clamming up on stuff about me.

Though, unless you count me going on and on about my stupid feelings. It makes me feel kinda stupid, really.

But, we parted ways at about 5 (we met up at 3) and he walked me to the Monorail, and we made some plans to meet up again.

Still, I think I would like that. Yes, I would.

But 'Food and Tea'? NEVER AGAIN.

No comments: