Saturday, September 1, 2007

Badminton, Battlefield, Books, Bands, Bylines and Boys.

I understand that the title of this post is strange indeed, but perhaps by the time I am done with this post (and I have a feeling it's gonna be long one), it will make perfect sense. And, oh yeah, this one is for you, V. *grin*

Badminton.
I had the unbelievably random, wild and hilarious game of badminton on a day I shall always remember as the day I witnessed the collapse of the lucidity and mental stability of Bra-man. It began on a seemingly normal day; a Thursday, a very unremarkable and very ordinary Thursday. We had classes in the morning, as usual, I skipped the first and attended the second.
Met up with J and K in the reading room. J was engrossed in Smash Brothers and with whooping K's ass. Forced him to do work for @campus, which promptly took away all his fun.

Went to Ms. L's class, she had 'tips' for us: yeah, right. Was hoping for her to completely lose her head, declare temporary insanity and leak out all the questions in the upcoming finals paper. Heck, maybe a few questions, forced out during torture, would do just fine. But got zip. 'Cept for No Normative Theories and No Mid-Range Theories. Since I have only the vaguest of ideas as to what mid range theories are, I think this is no be helping.

Class ended early, so nipped off to PC; K had a hare-brained scheme to park at Sports Complex, but they so good go and close the parking. So had to park somewhere else. Met with Bra-man, gathered our manpower for upcoming badminton game at 1500 hours. Rackets ready, shuttlecocks ready, everything ready.

Climbed the Improbable Stairs (just take a shot at climbing 'em and you'll see what I mean) up to the Sports Complex. Went to change, and promptly, without warning, K said, to my chagrin as my hands turned the doorknob of the ladies loo, "Yo Paul, wrong toilet!!"

Was ready to commit some very serious and very harshly punishable crimes right then and there, all of which involves a lot of blood, pain and illegal (yet imaginative) uses of badminton rackets. Blood and pain on his part only, of course.

When ready, all ready, and the game started with some light warming up, and ta-da!

Got whooped first round; got paired with the Bra-man, now sweating buckets. Thirty minutes into the game, Bra-man begins to swing wildly and perform some never-seen-before moves. Bra-man now sweating enough to supply an entire African family with salt water for a month. We got soundly beaten by J and K. Game over, Bra now producing enough sweat to power a dam.

Switched, and partnered with J, who, incidentally, is quite a good player (he made some VERY nice shots, I did one or two drop shots, which were pure luck). Whooped Bra-man's and K's asses, K is better with balls than shuttlecocks, I reckon, cause he flipped out after an hour to shoot a few hoops. But while the ass-whooping was going on, Bra and K remained stoic, but after several painful defeats.....madness. Chaos.

For the first time in my life I witnessed someone making snow angels....with no snow. Bra gave up, fell to the ground and made snow angels. Kelvin rolled on the floor, helpless with laughter. J commited hara-kiri (or seppuku?) with his badminton racket. I just stood there laughing my head off.

KH, along with JL, joined, played one round of singles with him (he is also very good) and then he went off to join K in B-ball, singled with J and then time over.

Spent 70% of time there picking up the shuttlecock and laughing. Arms sore but it was an incredibly amusing and enjoyable experience which I hope we can make into a regular thing next semester.

BATTLEFIELD
Went to cyber cafe on the day before the badminton game cause Mr T ended class in what, half an hour? Played a highly intense and bloodthristy game with Bozu, K and J called Battlefield. Spent nearly 3 hours there, in SS2 cyber (which is very quiet and very nice). I totally sucked at it. But all in good fun, played a little Jedi-Knight thingamajig after that, managed to slaughter them all at some point by pure luck and some major keyboard mashing.


BooKs!!
Bought a new book today, from good ol' Payless, its amazing what one can find in Payless if one looks and lucks out. Its called The Eyes of The Dragon, by Stephen King, one I've never seen even in major bookstores and one I devoured in under three hours. Which, incidentally, I DO NOT recommend marathon reading to the sane and the intact of mind, because solid non-stop reading without a single pee-break will drive even the most sound of minds into raving lunatics. With drool.

Unless, of course, like me, you have enormous amounts of drool to spare and was always a total fruitcake to begin with, then call me. We can have lunch, then we can go find a nice cosy spot where we can read and read and read and read and read and read. And read. And then we can get married and continue reading, if you're a guy. And if you're a girl, we can always have sleepovers.

By the way, the book was literally, un-putdownable. Seriously. I could not stop. A truly engrossing book thats spares no punches and continues with page after page of action and magnificent storytelling.


BaNDs
Speaking of bands, I have come to acknowledge the pure stupidity and pure fun of the band known as Panda Head Curry. With hits like 'Samy' and 'Singapore belongs to Malaysia', it is guaranteed to make you laugh like a total maniac. I know I did, right in the middle of the LRT, which drew wary stares and some very frightened looks my way.

I am addicted also, to Alvin and the Chipmunks, garn you J, for letting me listen to this unbelievably CUTE and COMPLETELY ADORABLE squeaky-voiced animated rodents singing about Christmas in September.


ByLiNe
I got a byline on Thursday too. I know, I know. I get my bylines on Sundays sometimes, but no byline is as significant as THIS particular byline, because this is my most IMPORTANT and significant article by far. This is my first time writing a proper Lifestyle piece for a big section in the newspapers, so I am excited. I give a HUGE thank you to my editor, GE.


BOYS
And now we come to the MOST BIZARRE part of my post, BOYS. I mean, boys are, well, all-round confusing and exasperating creatures, who, unfortunately, we girls (straight, that is) like and can't seem to get away from. But let this be known: Boys are FUN. They are Fun with a capital F. FUN. They keep you laughing like mad and they introduce you to violent, enjoyable, and frivolous activites (gaming, arcading and more gaming) and they have weird yet interesting bits of information stored in their heads all the time.

Yes, there are absolute jerks out there. Lord knows I've met my fair share. These boys treated me like crap, which I, to my shame, actually took and did nothing about, but no more. I ain't taking anymore crap from jerks like those I've known.

But let just say this: Girls grow up to be women. Boys just grow up to be older boys.


I end my post here. Its been a looooong one. I salute you for your patience so far. And thank you. I now have my lawyers ready to close up any loopholes you may think you have found in your pursuit of suing me for mental torture of the most severe kind. I warn you, I have good lawyers.

1 comment:

vic said...

i read it! i read it! *jumps up and down*
lol! your Lifestyle article, i mean. i remember thinking 'wait, doesn't she only write for OtakuZone then?' hehe...congrats! it was an enjoyable piece on one of my favourite subjects, btw.. ;p
on badminton - yes, i shall try to join you people SOMEday..*rofl* i've ffk-ed mum Li Mei once already..and counting la now..hehe..